Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Anywhere you go in Jacksonville, it is common to see a number of bicyclists getting some exercise or simply enjoying the weather and views. Unfortunately, it is also common to hear about bicyclists who have been involved in crashes and who have suffered serious injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that more than 50,000 bicyclists sustain injuries in crashes each year and make up two percent of traffic fatalities nationwide. Furthermore, NHTSA reports that bicyclists make up more than five percent of traffic fatalities in Florida, which shows the higher risk of serious bicycle accidents in the Sunshine State.
Bicyclists should be particularly concerned about crashes, as their relative lack of protection from an impact regularly results in severe injuries. While the types of injuries suffered in such crashes vary widely, the following are some injuries that are common to bicyclists:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): Even with a helmet, the head trauma that commonly occurs in bicycle accidents can easily result in concussions or more severe TBIs.
- Facial injuries: Many bicyclists are thrown forward off their bikes with great force, often resulting in their face and head hitting the pavement, the vehicle that crashed into them, or another object. Broken jaws, cheekbones, teeth, and noses are common for bicyclists.
- Broken hands, wrists, and arms: When bicyclists are thrown from their bikes, they may try to catch themselves with their hands. However, the force is often too great, and they end up with broken or shattered bones.
- Friction burns: If a bicyclist goes skidding across the pavement after being knocked off their bike, they can sustain serious friction burns that may affect numerous layers of skin and tissue.
- Spinal cord injuries: Any impact to the spinal cord can cause damage that may result in temporary or even permanent paralysis below the point of the damage.
Contact a Jacksonville Bicycle Accident Attorney for a Free Consultation
Bicycle crash injuries are often devastating, and who may be liable for your injuries depends on who caused the crash. If you have been injured, please do not hesitate to find out how a Jacksonville bicycle accident lawyer at Williams Law can help you. Call today at 904-580-6060.